English | 2017 | ISBN: 1787126473 | 354 Pages | True PDF, EPUB, AZW3 | 26 MB
Build scalable, efficient, and highly available web apps using AWS
This book will equip you with the knowledge needed to build your own serverless apps by showing you how to set up different services while making your application scalable, highly available, and efficient.
We begin by giving you an idea of what it means to go serverless, exploring the pros and cons of the serverless model and its use cases. Next, you will be introduced to the AWS services that will be used throughout the book, how to estimate costs, and how to set up and use the Serverless Framework.
From here, you will start to build an entire serverless project of an online store, beginning with a React SPA frontend hosted on AWS followed by a serverless backend with API Gateway and Lambda functions. You will also learn to access data from a SimpleDB database, secure the application with authentication and authorization, and implement serverless notifications for browsers using AWS IoT. This book will describe how to monitor the performance, efficiency, and errors of your apps and conclude by teaching you how to test and deploy your applications.
What You Will Learn
- Get a grasp of the pros and cons of going serverless and its use cases
- Discover how you can use the building blocks of AWS to your advantage
- Set up the environment and create a basic app with the Serverless Framework
- Host static files on S3 and CloudFront with HTTPS support
- Build a sample application with a frontend using React as an SPA
- Develop the Node.js backend to handle requests and connect to a SimpleDB database
- Secure your applications with authentication and authorization
- Implement the publish-subscribe pattern to handle notifications in a serverless application
- Create tests, define the workflow for deployment, and monitor your app