English | MP4 | AVC 1280×720 | AAC 44KHz 2ch | 4 Hours | 2.73 GB
Learn version control with git, SourceTree and GitHub from scratch using Unity games as the example. Best practices.
Want to learn Git without falling asleep? You’re in the right place!
Learning version control can be tricky and boring, we’re here to make it easy and fun. Using game development as the example project, we’ll be showing step-by-step how to get into git (get it?).
By the end of the course you’ll have an indispensable tool, that will allow you to…
- Protect your valuable work using git version control.
- Explore creative options using Atlassian’s SourceTree & the terminal / command line.
- Backup efficiently to the Internet, specifically GitHub but GitLab and BitBucket are mentioned.
- Learn all the common version control workflows that you’ll need day-to-day.
- Lay the foundations for collaboration with others.
You won’t only be learning the science of version control, but the art too. For example you’ll learn common usage patterns that keep your live simple, and even how to setup your online portfolio to show your work in the best light.
Your instructor Ben Tristem is the founder of GameDev tv, and has taught 100,000s of students to code and use creative software from scratch, so you’re in good hands. No prior experience of version control, git, or coding required.
We’ll be covering Windows, however MacOS and Linux users can also follow along with a little modification.
Let’s dive in and get this mini super-power learnt in no time!
What you’ll learn
- Learn the key concepts of the Git source control system
- Install git on Windows, MacOS and Linux
- Install the slick visual tool SourceTree on Windows, MacOS and Linux
- Be aware of other visual tools including GitKracken and GitHub Desktop
- Use .gitignore files intelligently to track only what matters
- Create “feature branches” to allow you to explore new ideas safely
- “Push” your work to GitHub or BitBucket for backup & sharing
- Understand how to use the command line when necessary
- Understand more about how the tool you use really works by watching file changes
- Be prepared to collaborate on your project with others professionally
Introduction and Setup
1 Why You Should Take This Course
2 Community & Support
3 What Git Can Do
4 The Ecosystem
5 Setup GitHub
6 Setup SourceTree (PC)
7 Setup SourceTree (Mac)
8 About Unity & Wrap-up
Using Git and GitHub 101
9 Intro & Red Porcupines
10 PROJECT Setup
11 REPO Initialisation
12 IGNORE Files
13 Stage & Commit
14 REMOTE GitHub Repo
15 PUSH & Wrap-up
Common Use Cases
16 Intro & Stashing
18 How To Use Branches
19 Introducing Merging
20 Simple Merge Conflicts
21 Revert or Reverse Commit
22 Section Recap
Real World Use For Power Users
23 Section Intro
24 A Tour of GitHub in 2019
25 Blame & History
26 Section Wrap-up
27 GitHub Structure 101
28 Cloning Remote Repos
29 Introducing The Terminal
30 How & When To Force Push
31 Diff Stats For Refactors
32 Picking Cherries
33 Large File System (LFS)
Unity Specific Git & GitHub
34 Section Introduction
35 Serialisation & Prefabs in Unity
36 GitHub for Unity Plugin
37 Locking Files For Collaboration
38 BONUS & Course Wrap-up